So, think forward to that joyous time when the revolution comes and your people carry you aloft to rule on high. After settling into your new role you decide to make some changes, “hmm, where to start?” you ponder while absentmindedly checking Twitter: then you see it. “Interwebs? Interwebs! What, in the name of all that is holy, is that?” ... your scribe is called for and so begins your list of banned words.
I have long been passionate about language, and especially the psychology behind why one person loves a certain word and uses it all the time, while to another it is like nails down a blackboard. So, I wondered, what would you decree as banned words when the revolution comes?
To start you off, how about ‘rents, Meh and netizen?
Add a comment below with your #bannedwords
What a great response, some of my favourites:
- 'Chill', 'chill out', 'chilling' or, worse, 'chillax'
- 'Chav', 'ned', etc: If you wouldn't use crude, lazy terminology to discriminate based on gender or race don't do it based on class.
- 'Lolz', 'meh', 'nomnomnom', etc: As hideously immersed in digital culture as I am I bloody hate internet speak. You're not 12, you're an adult. Stop it. Now.
- LOL/LOLZ - I really worry one day I'm going to say it in the place of actual laughter.
- NOM NOM - If you may a noise like nom, nom whilst you're eating then you're a pig and deserve no food.
- Transmedia - it seems to have been invented with the sole purpose of adding a layer of superiority to any sentence it graces.
- Maven - The use of the word 'maven' should be a sackable offence and I also find 'sentiment' and 'amplification' in certain contexts make me irrationally annoyed. Grrrr.
- Synergy in particular should be punishable by having your expensive gym membership revoked and your smug business card shoved up your noze and set on fire.
- Interwebs and t'internets. Every time someone says "interwebs", a puppy dies.
- Any word with "gate" slapped on the end to indicate a scandal. Lazy journalism at it's worst.
- Tweeps, tweeple, in fact pretty much any bastardized word with "tw" shoved in front. Some work when they're one offs or funny, and tweetup is ok. Nothing else is acceptable.
- 'bad' - such a stupid word to describe something. "That music is bad"...eurgh
- "youz" - ARGH! "youz did all of that" makes me sick
- "lawl" - I like it in context but it doesn't count as part of a conversation. If someone says "lawl" and thinks it's your turn to talk, smack them
- "tween" - no one wants to be a tween. It's an old person word - stop labeling people!